Sunday, August 22, 2010

The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot

Ever hear that saying before? It pretty much means a skilled or knowledgeable person commonly neglects to give his own family the benefit of his expertise. GUILTY! It's super sad but I've realized that I have taken more and way better pictures of other people's children than my own this last year. That's terrible isn't it? Well there's a few reason that this has happened over the last year. Mostly it's because I am the mommy and not just the photographer! I am busy meeting my kids every needs and keeping our lives together. In all honesty, and this is HARD TO SAY, there isn't even a great picture of my two kids from their first birthday party. Their first birthday party for heaven sakes! Why? Because I was the party planner, hostess, mommy, etc & photographer fell way down on that list that day.

It's sad to me. I thought that I would just spend most of their first year of life smiling at them and taking pictures along the way. Instead I have been overwhelmed with what it means to be a mom, homemaker, and businesswoman. All of these are wonderful things that I cherish, but they can often be big shoes to fill. I am trying to make a commitment as we move forward to make time to photograph these sweet babies (who are more like kids now)! I need to schedule them in like any other photo shoot and be intentional about it - and hire an assistant to help me :) I also can't be so hard on myself, it's OK at times to grab the point and shoot to capture quick moments in our lives. Ahhh..feels good to confess this, get it out there, and hopefully move on into a future full of many more Troutman memories that I am intentional about capturing. Thanks for listening internet friends!

1 comment:

Sarah Wooldridge said...

Maybe to hold you accountable you could say it's Twin Tuesday and share a picture from the previous week every Tuesday :) I know I'd love to see them!