Thursday, June 10, 2010

Evolving Personal Style


I am currently in a place in life that I think a lot of women find themselves in. I have been a mommy for almost a year and was prego for nine months before that. These last 20 months have been a major style challenge to say the least! It is hard to try to stay stylish while pregnant, especially when you are ginormous with twins like I was. By the end of pregnancy I could only wear two pairs of shoes, both stretchy top flip flops because my feet and ankles were so swollen. Even once my sweet babies were born, all that baby weight did not leave with them unfortunately! This past year had been a lot of hard work on trying to get back to a healthy weight to maintain an active lifestyle. During all of these body changes I have had to have a mish-mosh of a wardrobe and I have found it a challenge. I don't think I ever realized how much I cared about how much I presented myself through clothing until I didn't really have a lot to choose from. I know, I know, some of you that know me might be thinking "it's not like she had anything special going on to begin with in the style department" but I like to think that I at least looked put together in my past life :) And yes, my husband and I refer to it now as "LBK" - "life before kids" - it's a term frequently used in our house.
So where does all this leave me now? I mostly have a closet full of things I wish I could fit into. I am slowly getting back into my LBK clothes that were bigger on me then, but pretty much I still feel like a frump or like I am wearing someone else's clothes. What is my point to all this chatter? Well I have been giving it thought and decided that my personal style has some evolving to do. I need to embrace my new life, body shape, and other such things about life as a mommy.

Being short on cash and time, shopping can be tough but if you know me at all...you know I can do things well on a tight budget. Part of letting your style evolve is allowing yourself to do things differently, challenge yourself to go to a new place to shop. I did this very thing today. I went against my instincts and strolled through the door of forever 21. I know, I know..."that store is for 12 year olds with no hips" but something that I said a lot in ministry is that "you can't keep doing something the same way and expect a different result." Low and behold today in forever 21 I found 3 totally different, fabulous and flattering tops for each less than $23. God also sent a wardrobe fairy god-mother in the form of my friend Dorothy to just so happen to be in the dressing room with her daughter when I got there :)

I need to try new things and not be afraid! This is a motto in my life with a lot of things right now. I have to say I have a new style inspiration too, it's Cortney Novogratz of Sixx Design and Bravo's 9 By Design show. She is a mother of 7, including 2 sets of twins, amen! She has fabulous personal style and a great eye for design. I might talk more about her in another post..I have gone on long enough. SOOOO who are your style inspirations? What life changes have spurred you on to make style changes? What are your best tips for updating your style?

And because everything is better with a picture, here's a little piece of my heart...and Macy is not worried about her style yet because being nakie is the cutest!

No comments: